We will hold these special events for the month of Saka Dawa. Email
reminders will be sent out a couple days in advance of each event.
Tsog Offering marking beginning of Saka Dawa
Tuesday June 4, 7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
An offering of flowers, fruits or cookies for the altar is appreciated.
Full Day Retreat – Mahayana Precepts and Vajrasattva Retreat
Sunday June 16, 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- 10:00 – First session – Mahayana precepts and Bodhisattva vow
- 10:45 – Break
- 11:00 – Second session: guided meditation on Vajrasattva’s purification and recitation of 100 syllable mantra and Confession of Moral Downfalls (homage to 35 Buddhas)
- 12:00 p.m. – Vegetarian Potluck Lunch
- 1:00 p.m. – Third session: guided meditation on Vajrasattva’s purification and recitation of 100 syllable mantra and Confession of Moral Downfalls (homage to 35 Buddhas)
- 2:00 p.m. – Break
- 2:15 p.m. – 4th session Mantra recitation
- 3:00 p.m. – End of retreat with dedication
The eight precepts to keep for 24 hours are:
1. Avoid killing, directly or indirectly.
2. Avoid stealing and taking things without the permission of their owner.
3. Avoid sexual contact.
4. Avoid lying and deceiving others.
5. Avoid toxicants: alcohol, tobacco and drugs (except for medicinal purposes).
6. Avoid eating at wrong time. (Geshe la will explain)
7. Avoid sitting on a high throne or seat with pride. Also avoid sitting on animal skins.
8. Avoid wearing jewelry, perfume, and make-up. Avoid singing, dancing or playing music with attachment.
Note: Avoid eating black foods: meat, eggs, onions, garlic and any food containing animal fat and eggs.
Update with additional details:
- The body should be cleansed prior to attending the retreat
- Please arrive on time. There will be a blessed water rinse at the entrance
- The precepts are to be held for 24 hours starting from the when we begin at 10 a.m.
- We will have a vegetarian potluck lunch at 12 p.m.
This retreat coincides with the full moon, so there will be no evening full moon Tara prayer for June.